Thursday, October 13, 2011



I know I am terrible at updating my blog.. This is a picture of where I go running everyday. Its along an arroyo, one of the irrigation ditches that run through Albuquerque. I always see the sun setting in front of me, and beautiful mountains on my way home. Along the long irrigation ditch, there are wild flowers and weeds which stand beautifully, despite the concrete surrounding them. It is officially my favorite place here. I've been keeping it to myself for about two months, but thought I'd share this piece of my life with you.

After reading an amazing article by Walker Percy, called "Loss of the Creature", I have been thinking a lot about expectations for experiencing life. Percy mentions some about how we sometimes try to capture beauty before really just taking it in. He also mentions sometimes how we have expectations for having amazing experiences, instead of just living life and experiencing life as it comes (Also, he might not have said that, and thats just what I took from it.. but I liked it a lot). In an attempt to live in the present, I decided to put down my camera for a month or so.

I had the urge to come photograph this place immediately, but have taken my time taking it in and appreciating it. The other day, I decided to finally take some photographs. To conclude.. i'll leave you with one of my favorite flowers here in Albuquerque...


" Stand on the shores of a site unseen
The substance of this dwells in me
Cause my natural eyes only go skin deep
But the eyes of my heart anchor the sea
Plumbing the depths of the place in between
The tangible world and the land of dreams
Because everything ain't quite what it seems
There's more than the appearance of things"

... Josh Garrels

No comments:

Post a Comment